Customer Service Advisor - Adventure Travel | Glasgow
Are you passionate about customer service and enjoy talking to people about travel? If so, we'd love to hear from you! Supporting our Sales team, you will help customers prepare for their adventures by answering questions before they travel, problem solving and arranging those important final details. We want our customers to have a fantastic experience, and you are key to making this happen!
Reporting to Amy Gibbs, this is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious, fast-growing international business and progress your career in travel. This customer focused role is key to communicating our Macs brand values, helping us reach our sales targets, developing customer loyalty, and delivering memorable adventures for our customers!
We’re happy to consider flexible working, including part-time hours - whether to help you meet other commitments or to help you strike a great work-life balance. This role requires a minimum of one evening shift per week (12:30 to 9pm: working from home) and some flexibility to cover weekends as per our team rota (around 4-6 per year).
About Macs Adventure
We’re an adventure tour operator on a mission to be the leading global brand in self-guided, active travel.
Welcoming over 30,000 customers on over 600 walking and cycling trips to destinations around the world, we employ over 100 people across the UK, US and Germany who share our purpose to lead, advocate & enable self-guided, active travel as a positive force for people and planet.
We’re an adventurous business with an ambitious vision. Our aim is to triple the size of the business by 2026. We want to do this the right way and have set ourselves another important goal of achieving BCorp status within 2 years.
Our culture reflects these ambitions. We’re a fast-paced organisation and we like to have fun along the way. We’re looking for people who can grow with Macs and join us on our journey. It’s not the easy route, we’re looking for people who enjoy challenges, love learning and want to make an impact and relate to our core values:
- Love the journey: A Macs trip is all about the journey, not the destination. We are all believers in Macs’ unique brand of self-guided, active travel and shout about it. As more travellers convert to the Macs Way, we accept our business will grow and change. We welcome new connections, and embrace to new opportunities. Carpe diem!
- Take a different path: We’re not different for different’s sake; but we won’t succeed if we’re just the same as everyone else. We devise creative solutions to problems, find new ways of doing things, and trust colleagues who are doing so too. We are brave and feel empowered to take the initiative. We ask ourselves: is what I’m doing authentically Macs?
- Tread thoughtfully: We are considerate, empathetic and try to put ourselves in our customers’, suppliers’, and each other’s shoes. We support local, and find ways of having less negative impact on the planet. We find ways of having positive impact on people and communities. We are fair, and we do the right thing.
- Go the extra mile: We know that creating a perfect #MacsMoment involves going that bit further. We imagine the best feedback we can get and set out to earn it. We take ownership and accountability – it’s yours, not someone else’s, problem. We step up and help our teammates when they need us.
What you’ll do;
You will support customers before they travel, ensuring they have everything they need to have an amazing self-guided walking or cycling holiday. You’ll create an impact by:
- Communicating with customers via phone calls, live chats, and emails.
- Supporting customers with general pre, during and post trip questions
- Answering customer questions on a broad range of trips and destinations, including the customer My Account, the Macs Adventure App and customer documentation
- Processing customer payments and collecting overdue payments.
- Collecting and updating contact, travel details, interests and pre-trip information, including risk release forms from customers if necessary.
- Engaging with suppliers to finalise arrangements for bookings.
What you’ll bring;
- You have a passion for active and adventure travel.
- Experience in fast paced customer facing roles.
- Great customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Able to multitask, prioritise and establish deadlines to ensure competing objectives are met.
- Interpersonal and team skills which enable you to build great relationships internally and externally.
- Confident, competent, and articulate individual who can communicate professionally.
- Experienced and fluent in using IT systems such as email, LiveChat, phones, booking/company systems and MS office suite.
- A hands-on individual willing to go the extra mile for customers, colleagues and the business.
Not essential, it would be a bonus if you have:
- Previous experience in the travel industry.
Some candidates may see this list and feel discouraged because they don’t match all the requirements. If this is your ideal job please apply anyway, there’s a good chance you’re more wonderful than you think you are.
You could belong here:
To deliver adventures for more than 30,000 customers we need to build a company that’s reflective of their diversity. We’re building an inclusive workplace that promotes and values difference, where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and be proud to belong.
What we’ll offer:
As well as your salary (£21,255);
- ANNUAL LEAVE: We’re an inclusive employer and celebrate diversity. We want you to be able to take holidays that matter to you, so 8 public holidays are included in your annual leave allowance of 33 days, which increases to 35 days after 5 years service.
- BIRTHDAY BOOSTER: An extra day off on your birthday!
- PENSION: We offer a contributory pension scheme.
- DISCOUNTS: You are eligible for great discounts on Macs Adventure trips!
- TRAVEL INSURANCE: We provide you and your spouse/partner/children with annual worldwide travel insurance.
- FLEXIBLE WORKING: A flexible work culture you’ll be able to work from home as well as coming into our hub office in Glasgow at least 2 days a week to collaborate with colleagues.
- GETTING TOGETHER: Regular team, management and leadership meetings and retreats.
- CULTURE: An innovative, fast growth, international and solution focused culture, where we work hard to embed our values across the business.
- L&D: We support regular learning and development opportunities.
- WELLBEING: We'll support you in looking after your health and wellbeing so you can do your best work.
- TRAVEL: Occasional international travel may be required.
- IMPACT: The opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives and the planet.