Moselle & Saar Bike & Boat: Saarburg to Koblenz - MS Patria8 Days & 7 Nights 4.6 Read 5 reviews
- Sailing and cycling through the enchanting winelands of Moselle and Saar.
- Meeting local winegrowers and other cyclists from all over the world.
- Discovering Art Nouveau Traben-Trarbach, a famous wine trade city.
- Flexibility to cycle or relax on board the MS Patria.
- Cycling past the steepest vineyard in the world, Bremmer Calmont.
What To Expect
Self Guided | Go at your own pace on an independent active holiday.
Bike and Boat | A combination of cycling and cruising or sailing, your overnight accommodation will be on boat or barge style accommodation.
This trip is suitable for:
Solo Travellers, Multi-Generational, Mixed Abilities, First Timers
As a guide, we would suggest that the minimum age of traveller this holiday would be suitable for is: 5 Years
Ideal if you have an interest in:
- Wine, Whisky & More...
- Historical Journeys
Grade & Terrain
Upon arrival on the boat you will be supplied with printed instructions and detailed maps for each daily bike tour. There is also an onboard multi-lingual tour leader who will give daily briefings of the cycle tours. This person can also be reached by mobile/cell phone should there be a breakdown or emergency.
This tour is graded easy to moderate as the daily distances range between approximately 25-50 km (on one day there is an option of a 65km ride if you wish to take it). The majority of the routes are on dedicated cycle paths that have a smooth paved surface. Cycle alongside the Moselle & Saar Rivers, through countryside surrounded by vineyards and historic towns, cities, and villages. This tour is well-suited to those who have never taken a cycling holiday before as it is flat and predominantly traffic-free and you also have the option of skipping the cycling and relaxing on board.
You will spend each night on the boat in your comfortable cabin. Your boat is always docked at night and only sails during the day.
The 68 meters long MS Patria can accommodate a maximum of 68 guests. It has 34 cabins all of which are twins (approx. 7m², 2 single beds next to each other) with a window (the windows on the upper deck can be opened, but for safety reasons those on the lower deck are fixed), shower & toilet, and individually regulated air conditioning in all cabins on the lower deck, as well in the restaurant and salon. Bed linen is provided and there will be a daily cursory cleaning of your cabin. There are 15 cabins on the lower deck and 19 cabins on the upper deck (a supplement is payable for cabins on the upper deck). This authentic ship has a nice salon with a bar and large windows in front of the top deck. A separate restaurant is located on the lower deck. On the partially covered sun deck, there is seating for all guests and a place to store your rental bike.
All meals onboard are included. A sumptuous breakfast, lunch on board for non-cyclists, or picnic lunches for cyclists. Each evening you can look forward to a three-course dinner. Daily tea and coffee are available until 4:00 pm.
- 7 Nights in a standard twin cabin
- All meals, including breakfasts, lunches & 3-course dinners
- A welcome drink and daily coffee and tea until 4pm
- Daily briefing of the bike routes from an English-speaking Tour Leader
- Printed instructions, detailed maps and an Information Pack
- Bike rental (modern 7-speed-hybrid bike with pedal brakes and panniers)
- Travel Insurance
- Getting to Saarburg & getting from Koblenz
- Transfers to docking areas
- Fees for entrances or excursions
- Drinks on board
- Upgrade to Electric Bike Rental
When To GoYou can start your Moselle and Saar Bike & Boat: Saarburg to Koblenz tour on selected Saturdays between April and October.
Getting to the Start
It is possible to fly into Luxembourg Airport, which is closest. You can then take a bus to Hamilius and from here another bus to Saarburgh. Please check the Deutsche Bahn website for more information. Alternatively, you may wish to fly into Cologne or Frankfurt Airport.
The bikes onboard are 7-gear unisex hybrid bikes with pedal brakes and are included in the cost of your trip. There are also E-bikes available upon request (at a supplement). All rental bikes are equipped with a pannier (saddle bag) although helmets are not available onboard, we strongly recommend that you bring your own helmet with you for safety reasons.
It is a requirement of booking this tour with Macs Adventure that you have suitable travel insurance which covers you for the activity and emergency evacuation and hospital care.
ItineraryDay 1 Arrival Saarburg & Embarkation
Your cycling cruise in Germany begins in Saarburg where you can explore the 10th century Saar Castle or visit the Saar Falls on the River Leuk. Boarding of the MS Patria commences from 4pm and as your first evening is spent docked in Saarburg there is ample time to enjoy the sights and meet your fellow cyclists.
Get ready for your first day in the saddle as the MS Patria sails to Trier. Enjoy the idyllic nature reserve of the River Saar. Continue on to Wasserbillig in Luxemburg before reaching Trier. Trier is one of the highlights of this tour as it's one of the oldest cities with prominent Roman roots that are still visible in impressive buildings such as the Porta Nigra, the Konstantin Basilica and the Amphitheatre. Explore this historical city before falling asleep in your cosy cabin.
After breakfast, you will cycle from trier via the charming village to Pfalzel to Mehring. famous for its white wine and home to the largest wine-growing community in the Moselle-Sarr-Ruwer region.
On your way to Bernkastel-Kues you will pass through Neumagen-Dhron which is the oldest wine city of Germany. You will then arrive in Piesport, the oldest winegrowing community along the Moselle. Here is the largest ever found Roman wine complex North of the Alps.
Overnight in historic Kues, where grand half-timbered houses surround the medieval market place.
Today's cycle will take you through the romantic village of Traben-Trarbach, located on the left bank of the Moselle famous of its Jugendstil (art nouveau) architectural style. End the day with a well-deserved glass of locally produced wine in the village of Zell on the Moselle (optional, not included).
A highlight of today's cycle will be passing through Beilstein, "the Sleeping Beauty of the Moselle" one of the best-preserved historical villages on the Moselle. Why not explore the ruins of Castle Metternich, towering above the village.
Your cycle will end in the picturesque town of Coche.
After breakfast for your final day of cycling you will see you pedal to Alken, one of the oldest cities on the Moselle, where the Patria will be waiting for you to sail onto Koblenz.
Koblenz is a fascinating historical city, that has been an important defensive and economic centre for centuries. Highlights include the castle of Ehrenbreitstein which dominates the bank of the Rhine, the 12th century Alte Burgh Castle and the old Koblenz town.
After breakfast, your bike and boat adventure officially comes to an end and it is time to disembark and make your way home via Frankfurt, Cologne or Luxembourg.
The Macs Adventure Way
- Tailor-Made Adventures
- Book With Confidence
- Positive Impact
- Knowledgeable and helpful friendly specialist adventure planners
- Tailor-make your trip to suit your interests
- Start on any date that suits you
- Choose your ideal trip length and difficulty
- Range of accommodation options
- Choice of trip styles
- Choose your own travel companions
- Walk, cycle and explore at your own pace
- Make your own decisions
- Choose your own path
- Indulge your passions
- 14,000+ unbiased trip & service reviews
- Feefo Gold Award 2019
- 25,000+ travellers trust us each year
- As featured in the Guardian, National Geographic Traveller, and more
- Founder owned & operated since 2003
- 100+ passionate team members across the US, UK & Europe
- 100% Financial Protection
- Meticulously planned adventures
- Quality, hand-picked accommodation
- Seamless and reliable arrangements
- Comprehensive trip information & insider tips
- Detailed maps, route notes and mobile GPS app
- Helpful 24/7 support should you need it
- Travel responsibly
- Explore off the beaten track
- Support locally owned businesses
- Engage with local communities
- Minimise your impact
- Maximise the benefit of your travel
- Challenge yourself & grow