Camino Lebaniego5 Days & 4 Nights
- Walk the Camino Lebaniego from Spain's Green Coast to the Picos de Europa
- Lush mountain landscapes dotted with lakes, tiny hamlets and churches
- Reach Santa Toribio Monastery, home to the Lignum Crucis (true cross of Christ)
- Feast on hearty Cantabrian dishes such as Cocido Lebaniego
- Explore the lively mountain town of Potes with its delightful cobbled alleyways
What To Expect
Self Guided | Go at your own pace on an independent holiday.
Pilgrim Trail | You will follow a historic pilgrimage trail, in the footsteps of generations of travellers
Ideal if you have an interest in:
Spiritual Journeys, Personal Growth
As a guide, we would suggest that the minimum age of traveller this holiday would be suitable for is: 5 Years
Grade & Terrain
This walk is graded moderate overall and includes daily walks of 16-26km so you will be walking for between 5 and 8 hours each day. You will follow a mixture of mountain tracks and footpaths. Daily ascents are between 490 and 1140m. The last day of the walk from Cicera to Santo Toribio is graded as moderate-strenous as it involves a lot of ascent and descent. As this route passes through some more isolated stretches than some of the busier Camino's, we recommend it more for experienced walkers.
Whilst the waymarking on the Camino Lebaniego it is not quite as clear as some of the more well-known Caminos, the Cantabrian government have spent a lot of money on signposting the route so it is still easy to follow. Instead of following the usual yellow arrows and scallop shells that you will on the Camino del Norte, you will follow signposts with a red arrow and cross. You will also receive a detailed information pack which includes route notes and maps, and in addition to this you will have access to our Macs Adventure App, allowing you to follow the route on richly detailed mapping on your smartphone.
The accommodation is a mixture of small rural hotels and B&B's, all with private rooms and en-suite. They all offer a warm welcome to walkers, traditional hospitality and delicious local food.
Solo Walkers & Single Rooms
The Camino Lebaniego is available to solo walkers at a single supplement. Single rooms are also available for a supplement.
A local continental breakfast is included each morning, which can sometimes just be coffee, bread, and orange juice. Lunch and dinner are not included as standard so you are free to choose from the available options. Every place you stop will have evening meals available.
- Overnight in small rural hotels and hostels, twin/double rooms with en-suite W/C
- Daily breakfast and 1x evening meal when you stay in Cicera
- Baggage Transfers
- A detailed information pack including route notes, maps and local information
- Access to the Macs Adventure Smartphone App
- Emergency support from our local and UK offices
- Evening meals (except your overnight in Cicera, where it is included)
- Lunches, snacks or drinks
- Travel insurance
- Personal Equipment
- Additional nights’ accommodation
When To Go
You can start this tour on any day of your choosing between April and October. Please note that it will be busy between July and end of September as this is when many of the Spanish go on holiday in this area. For this reason, prices are on request at this time and during Easter and cannot be booked on the website. Please contact us if you wish to travel at this time.
As with all mountainous areas and particularly because of the proximity of the mountains to the coast in this area, the weather can also change suddenly and there can be sudden rain-showers, or even snow at any time of year so you should be prepared for all weather conditions with waterproof gear and plenty of sunscreen!
Getting to the Start
You can fly into either Bilbao or Santander Airports. Direct flights are available to Santander from the UK and Europe with airlines such as Ryanair, Iberia, British Airways and Vueling. Or there are many more options to Bilbao Airport including flights with KLM and Lufthansa.
Getting from the End
You can take a bus from Potes back to Santander with Autobus Palamera (2.5hrs). If your return flight is from Bilbao Airport, you will need to change buses in Santander and take another bus to Bilbao which takes 1h 30m.
Baggage transfers are included (max 20kg per person). Your main bag will be transferred each day between your overnight accommodation so that you only need to walk with a day pack.
The distances and ascent/descents are approximations of the recommended routes. Please be prepared by packing all necessary items, for example, proper rain gear (jacket and pants), sun hat, sunscreen. Your information pack has a detailed equipment list which includes standard walking gear such as good walking boots or shoes, warm and waterproof clothes for the cooler months and lightweight clothing for summer, and a day pack.
It is a requirement of booking this tour with Macs Adventure that you have suitable Travel Insurance which covers you for the activity, emergency evacuation and hospital care.
Public transport and taxis are available if you are unable to walk a stage. Our friendly local partners will be able to arrange this for you easily - just give them or us a call and we will sort this out for you!
Yes, this isn't a problem and we highly recommend extra nights in either Santander or in Potes, which will allow you to experience more of the Picos.
ItineraryDay 1 Arrive in San Vicente de la Barquera and overnight.
Fly into either Santander or Bilbao airport, and after a bus to the centre of Santander, take a direct bus to San Vicente de la Barquera in around 75 minutes. Take a wander round this quiet little fishing town, where you are sure to enjoy a lovely seafood dinner.
After a short section this morning following the Camino del Norte, head south following the Nansa river. The landscape changes from the coast, to one of forests and waterfalls. Finish in Cades, a sleepy little farming village with a wonderful ethnographic museum called the Ferreria de Cades, an old foundry building. You will be picked up in Cades tonight to be transferred to a nearby rural hotel.
After a short transfer back to Cades, continue on your way. You are now deep in the mountains, and the bigger climbs are rewarded with incredible views. Pass the mountain village of La Fuente, with its 12th century Santa Juliana church, and descend into the small hamlet of Cicera.
One final and special day awaits! Walk through quiet woodlands to Lebeña with its Mozarabic church, and continue into the Picos mountains. Thsi section is sure to be a challenge, but the area is home to some of the best local cheeses, so a picnic lunch to stop and enjoy a sample whilst taking in the views is a must! Head through the mountain village of Potes, capital town of the Picos region, before a final push to the monastery of Santo Toribio.
This very beautiful 13th century monastery houses the largest remaining piece of the Lignum Crucis, believed to be the cross upon which Jesus Christ is crucified, and many pilgrims will have made the journey here to discover this important relic. After exploring you will be transferred back to Potes for your overnight accommodation, where you can explore the cobbled streets and enjoy one final delicious meal to finish off your journey through Green Spain.
After breakfast, your walking holiday will come to an end. See the Travel Info section for some useful details for your onward travel.
The Macs Adventure Way
- Tried & Tested Adventures
- Book With Confidence
- Positive Impact
- Knowledgeable and helpful friendly specialist adventure planners
- Wide variety of trips to suit all interests and experience levels
- Start on any date that suits you
- Choose your ideal trip length and difficulty
- Range of accommodation options
- Choice of trip styles
- Choose your own travel companions
- Walk, cycle and explore at your own pace
- Make your own decisions
- Choose your own path
- Indulge your passions
- 15,000+ unbiased trip & service reviews
- Feefo Platinum Award 2022
- As featured in the Guardian, National Geographic Traveller, and more
- Founder owned & operated since 2003
- Passionate team members based in the US, the UK & Europe
- 100% Financial Protection
- "Peace of Mind Guarantee" means no worries if you need to change your plans
- Meticulously planned adventures
- Quality, hand-picked accommodation
- Seamless and reliable arrangements
- Comprehensive trip information & insider tips
- Detailed maps, route notes and mobile GPS app
- Helpful 24/7 support should you need it
- Travel responsibly
- Explore off the beaten track
- Support locally owned businesses
- Engage with local communities
- Minimise your impact
- Maximise the benefit of your travel
- Challenge yourself & grow