Peace of Mind Guarantee: Worry-free booking after Covid-19 >Where can I travel? Advice on planning >


Italy Travel Restrictions and Resources

Updated: 1 September 2021

Italy is open to American travelers from the US and we are operating our trips. We have prepared this information to help you plan, but you should check the official websites and your airline requirements well in advance of travel.

Travel Restrictions

The Italian ministry reports: "Persons travelling from Canada and the United States of America may enter Italy by presenting a ‘Green Pass’ (or equivalent certificate issued by the local health authorities attesting that they are fully vaccinate with a European Medicines Agency (EMA) validated vaccine), a negative swab test carried out within the previous 72 hours and a Passenger Locator Form."

From 31 Aug 2021 and valid until October 25, 2021, travelers from the United States or Canada may only enter Italy if they present a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result carried out within 72 hours of arrival AND either:

  • Vaccination certificate with an EMA approved vaccine
  • medical certificate proving recovery from COVID-19 and the termination of medical isolation no more than 6 months before departure

Read the full detail on the Italian Ministry Website or US Italian Embassy.

You should also complete a digital European Passenger Locator Form before entry and a self-declaration form.

The Italian national tourist agency has more information here >

State Dept Advisory for Italy: Level 3: Reconsider travel to Italy.  Read more >

Proof of Vaccination required: See above.

What can I expect when I arrive in Italy?

Shops, hotels, bars and restaurants are open.

From August 6, 2021, a Digital Green Certificate/Green Pass will be required to access many indoor venues, including restaurants. The US Italian Embassy states: "The Italian Ministry of Health issued an ordinance on July 29, 2021 stating that an Anti-COVID-19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA) recognized vaccine from competent U.S. health authorities (CDC “white cards”) will be considered the equivalent of the Italian Green Pass where this requirement exists. Alternatively, you can provide a negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result taken within 48 hours before entering a restaurant/museum etc. or a medical certificate issued by competent US authorities confirming recovery from COVID within the previous 6 months."

Some restrictions continue, which include facemasks whilst in public or around people not members of your own household group, and curfew hours. Any restrictions do vary between region, information is available here and summarised on the US Embassy website. You can also check restrictions information here. Capacity is reduced in many places, and on public transport, so we suggest booking ahead.

Where can I get Covid tested in Italy?

Some international airports do offer testing on-site, many pharmacies offer testing. Test centre information is held at regional levels. Your airline / airport of departure is a good place to find up to date information.

Returning from Italy to the USA:

You will need to get tested (PCR or Antigen) no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel). Read more >

Useful information resources:

US Embassy in Italy Website

US State Department Travel Advisory for Italy

CDC Travel Advice Page

Re-Open EU – Information on various measures in place across the EU.

Additional regional information:

Aosta Valley


Get in touch if you want have any questions, our adventure specialists are here to help you create your perfect adventure, your way.

Contact Us

Most Popular Tours

$ - USD - US Dollar
Country/Region name: