Our top 5 Favorite Italian Hikes
1. The Cinque Terre. Coastal hiking linking five beautiful villages. The seafood is incredible.
2. The Alta Via, Dolomites. Towering spires, mountain huts, turquiose lakes, meadows - one of Europe's finest hiking regions.
3. Hill Towns of Tuscany. Picturesque hills, historic towns, aromatic vineyards producing fine wines.
4. Amalfi In Style. Coastal trails with Mediterranean Sea views, delightful villages, plentiful terraces serving wine and oives.
5. Trails of Sicily. Ancient foothills, archaeological sites, stunning vistas and impregnable hilltop towns.
Curious to know more? Read on in our Blog ‘5 best hiking tours in Italy’
Amalfi Coast: Must Try Foods
Spaghetti alle Vongole – Spaghetti with freshly-caught clams which can be ordered with tomatoes or without. Best enjoyed on a panoramic terrace with a glass of local wine!
Delizia al Limone – The world’s best lemons grow in the Amalfi region. This dessert is a lemon-scented sponge cake covered with lemon zest and frosting.
Fiori di Latte – Cheesemongers in the tiny mountain hamlet of Agerola produce the famous Fiori di Latte cheese that you can typically find on a Neapolitan Margherita Pizza.
Totani e Patate – A hearty dish of squid and potatoes.
Scialatielli con Gamberi e Zucchine – This is a delightful fresh pasta dish with zucchini and locally-caught fresh shrimp tossed in a rich seafood stock. Many also include mussels, prawns, or clams.
Via Francigena - Which Stage?
Since the 8th century pilgrims have hiked the famous Via Francigenca, from the Swiss border town of Bourg-Saint-Pierre to Rome. We offer the full 50 day route, and also various individual stages. These are our favorites:
Stage 1. Hike over the famous St Bernard pass and cross the border into Italy. High mountains and alpine scenery.
Final stage. From the hilltop town of Montefiascone into historic Rome. Follow trails through rural and pristine areas of Italy that many tourists do not visit!
Stage 4. Through the foothills of the Apennine Mountains to the Tuscan border. The food is amazing!
Stage 6. Quintessential Tuscany, famous medieval villages, packed full of history, culture, and art.