To walk or cycle the Camino?
The Camino can be walked or cycled, and though walking is the most popular way to travel, there are many people who cycle.
- Traditional pilgrim experience.
- Time to take in the sites and environment.
- The best way to experience the camaraderie of the Camino.
- All paths are suitable for walkers.
- More sociable.
- Walking the Caminos takes more time.
- More expensive as walking takes twice as much time as cycling.
- Takes less time and so can be fitted in a summer holiday.
- On the Camino Francés it takes 14 days rather than 36 days by foot.
- Best for the longer southern routes, which have the very long distances between towns.
- At going at such a high speed, you can miss out on the sociable side of the Camino.
- Cycling requires more equipment and planning.
- Some paths and routes are not suitable for cycling and so more time is spent on roads.