Become a Macs Adventure Pathfinder and enjoy free walking and cycling trips
We are looking for experienced walkers, cyclists and travellers to join our team of Pathfinders.
1. a person who makes or finds a way, esp through unexplored areas or fields of knowledge
As part of our mission to deliver outstanding self guided walking, cycling and activity holidays we thoroughly research our new trips and adventures. This means getting out there and walking the trails, biking the routes, writing or checking route notes, taking photos, blogging about our experience and making sure everything works perfectly.
To date our team of destination and adventure specialists and guides have been our Pathfinders but we know that many of our past guests are hugely experienced and enthusiastic walkers, cyclists and travellers so we have decided to open our Pathfinder programme to you.
Join our Pathfinder programme
For 2013 we are looking for between 10 and 15 past guests to join our Pathfinder programme, primarily focusing on UK walking and cycling holidays. We are looking for Pathfinders who:
- Have completed at least one self guided walking or cycling trip with Macs Adventure.
- Are based in the UK (we will expand the programme soon)
- Can attend a training and selection weekend in the Lake District from the evening of Friday the 1st of March to Sunday the 3rd of March 2013.
- Are available to do a week of walking/cycling during March 2013 (and possibly one more week later in the summer/autumn)
- Would like to be involved with the programme on an on going basis (we are looking for a commitment of at least one week of walking/cycling each year)
- Are experienced long distance walkers/cyclists with a good level of fitness.
- Have strong map reading and navigation skills.
- Can write up route notes clearly, accurately and promptly (we will provide training).
- Have good problem solving skills.
- Love having fun in the great outdoors.
So what’s in it for you?
- Fabulous walking, cycling or active holidays at no cost to you!
- A free training and selection weekend at a Lake District Hotel where you will meet the rest of the Pathfinder team, have lots of fun and receive training in:
- Map reading and navigation
- Using GPS and mapping software
- Writing route notes and information packs
- Taking better travel photos
- The satisfaction of knowing future walkers, cyclists and travellers will benefit from your research and have huge enjoyment as a result of your research.
- 10% off all Macs Adventure trips while you are a member of our Pathfinder programme.
How the Pathfinder programme works.
If following the training and selection weekend you are accepted onto our Pathfinder programme you will be offered Pathfinder assignments, which work as follows:
- A walking/cycling trip on one of our potential or new holidays for one person in a single room free of charge. We will cover the cost of accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner allowance, transfers required during the trip, baggage transfer (during season, on some trips you will have to carry your own backpack), maps, guidebooks.
- If you wish to travel with a friend/partner the second person only has to pay the difference in price between a single and twin/double room and their own lunches and dinners.
- You will need to cover the cost of travel to/from the start/end of the trip.
- Prior to each Pathfinder assignment you will need to pay a £200 deposit which is refunded as soon as you supply us with the required outputs.
- For each Pathfinder assignment we will require you to produce the following:
- Written turn by turn route notes and a trip information pack to our format. (Allow 3 – 4 days to write these up after your trip).
- Recorded GPS tracks of the route.
- A trip evaluation report with any suggestions, comments and recommendations for improvements.
- As many photographs as possible from your trip.
- At least three blog posts about your trip.
If you think that you have the required skills and would enjoy participating in our walking or cycling Pathfinder programme we would love to hear from you.
Please complete the online application form here
Even if you are not based in the UK or available for the training and selection weekend please do compete the application as we will keep your details on file and you will be first in line when we run future training and selection weekends or look to roll the programme out to new destinations.
I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully seeing you in the Lakes in March. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
who is the programme coordinator.