Kit review: Asolo Ellery walking boots
Italian brand Asolo have brought out a range of “Natural Shape” boots. There are four different types of Natural Shape boots for both men and women. The concept of the natural shape boot is to offer “natural comfort” and a feeling of freedom. So the boots are similar to trainers in terms of a relaxed feel yet still offer good levels of support and durability for hill walking.
On test: Asolo Ellery ML women’s walking boot
The Asolo women’s Ellery boots are meant for walking in warmer climes. Built to Asolo’s Natural Shape design, the Ellery has a footbed that helps to mimic the shape and flex of your foot and a Vibram/Asolo Natural Shape sole for grip and traction on the trails.
In addition, Asolo Ellery features include:
- Water-resistant suede and nylon mesh upper
- Velveteen lining
- Weight of 335g (single boot, size 5)
I wore thinner summer walking socks because theses are summer boots and from the moment I put my feet inside I knew they would be ultra comfortable. They felt as comfy as a pair of trainers and also nice and light.
The footbed is soft, but not too soft, and the forefoot area of the boot seems to mould to your foot shape. I have narrow heels but there was no lift in the boots. They boots are easy to lace-up securely and boast two open hooks on the mid height ankle.
What else I like about the Asolo Ellery boots
Remember these are summer boots so:
- A neat design means the boots look good enough to wear to the pub.
- The outers are made from a lightweight and breathable mesh combined with suede.
- Walking in the boots feels “natural”, like my feet are in contact with the ground although they are obviously not because of the footbed and sole!
- A natural bare-foot style of walking.
- Flexible, but not too flexible, sole.
- Wide range of women’s sizes from UK 3.5 to 9.5.
- The colour schemes are attractive.
- The boots are water resistant not waterproof. This is okay if you are planning on summer walking in mostly dry conditions.
- The soles are not very aggressive or grippy so beware of walking in rocky mountains in wet weather.
The Asolo Ellery walking boots are priced at RRP £120. See Asolo