The Balearic island of Mallorca is loved by holidaymakers for many reasons; for the sunshine, for the nightlife, for the scenery, and for the local cuisine. Unfortunately, Mallorca often gets categorised as a purely "beach and bars" or destination, which doesn't do it full justice! There is so much more to this special island, so many hidden gems waiting to be discovered, and the best way to explore them is on two feet. If I am honest, Mallorca is probably a destination I would have until recently considered in the "fly & flop" category. I had heard how beautiful old town Palma was, and of course I knew the beaches were legendary, but when Macs Adventure's product team recently updated the Mallorca itinerary, the island suddenly jumped up on my "must go" list.
To name but a few reasons, the new walking in Mallorca itinerary includes:
- Trails through the Sierra de Tramuntana mountains, which have UNESCO World Heritage Status as an area of great Physical and Cultural significance
- A two night stay in working Monastery dating back to the 13th Century, Monestery Lluc, which was renovated by Gaudi. The Monastery is an oasis of tranquility, with botanical gardens to enjoy, a museum, great Mallorcan cuisine, and a fascinating interior.
- A trip on a historic old-fashioned wooden train through the Valley of the Oranges!
- Port Soller: Feel the ocean breeze as you dine in a seafront restaurant in this charming coastal village.
- The stone cobbled artist’s village of Deia.
- Mallorcan wine, seafood, and other local delicacies.
Oh, and of course, those beaches, and the beautiful old town of Palma!
If, like me, you have not considered Mallorca as an adventure destination, its time to think again! Great for keen walkers, the new Walking in Mallorca holiday itinerary is now available to browse or book online, and includes moderate to strenuous grade walking over 8 days & 7 nights. Fantastic invigorating walking, combined with Mediterranean sunshine, panoramic views, and homemade paella - sounds like a winning combination to me!