Three great summer walking boots
In summer, with warmer and drier weather, it’s possible to swap your heavier, stiffer and more robust winter walking boots for a pair of lighter, more flexible and easier-to-wear summer hiking boots.
Here we review three pairs of summer hiking boots that are well worth considering for a walking holiday.
Salewa Firetail Evo Mid GTX boots
The new and updated Salewa Firetail Evo Mid GTX boots have all the comfort of a favourite pair of trainers yet still boast a long list of quality walking boot features.
The boots are super light and fit into a department of hiking boots called “Approach”. This hybrid style combines the characteristics of hiking boots and rock climbing shoes.
The techie details include:
- Very grippy Vibram Tech Approach outsole
- High and durable rand (that’s the bumper style section of the boot that is made of rubber and encases the lower area of the boot above the sole)
- Gore-Tex lining
- Multi-fit footbed (to fit narrow and medium width feet)
- Extended lacing system for extra support along the full length of the boot
- NXT Odour Control.
These are boots that are ideal for rock slabs and generally rocky terrain (the grip is sticky and superb) and for some mud and trails. The outsole is not highly aggressive so they do not work so well in wet and very muddy conditions but for most summer walking occasions it’s hard to beat the lightness and performance of the Salewas.
The ankle height is “mid” which means they rise to just above the ankle. If you prefer more ankle support you might want to look at other boots, such as the Mammuts below, but for most summer walking situations, the mid-height is a good compromise between tall ankles and hiking shoes. It also adds to the comfort factor.
The boots come in male and female fit and some great colours. The boots rrp at £150 although I have seen them for £99. There is a hiking shoes version, too, which rrps at £120 (also seen for £70).
for more details. You can buy Salewa at Tiso
and other retail and on-line stores in the UK.
Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX
Again, these boots offer the comforts of a pair of trainers but with great trail and hill walking features.
The boots made with a lightweight and water resistant textile upper and an internal Gore-Tex liner so they are both waterproof and breathable.
The boots have what Salomon call an “Advanced Chassis”, which is fitted between the outsole and midsole to give good support and motion control for an “efficient, stable and responsive” stride. The boots also have a “Sensifit system” to cradle the foot for a “precise and secure fit”.
Essentially what this means is the boot is light and comfortable and very supportive when walking.
Added extras include:
- Gusseted tongue for comfort and to stop dirt and grit getting into the boot
- Protective rubber toecap
- Men and women’s specific last
- Mud-guard protective material all around the base of the shoe
- Contagrip sole for good traction on varied surfaces (these boots are not as super grippy as the Salewa’s but they are still fine for most summer walking conditions.)
The boots come in male and female versions and rrp at £130. See Salomon
and other retailers.
Mammut GTX Surround Comfort High Boot
For a boot that is a little higher on the ankle yet still fairly lightweight these boots are a good buy. They also boast the new Gore-Tex Surround technology, which offers both waterproofing and “360-degree” breathability.
How this works is the internal waterproof membrane passes under the foot while the “spacer area” between the sole and heel is vented so air can circulate more than in the average boot and promote breathability for dry and odour-free feet.
The other features include:
- Rolling Concept Gripex sole (made from two types of rubber, with different hardness, to offer good durability as well as grip on most summer hiking surfaces)
- Liquid rubber rand (although the rand on these boots does not rise as high up the boot as the Salewas)
- Cushioned tongue (for comfort)
- Arch support (for great support and improved comfort levels).
The Mammut boots (rrp £170) and a shoe version (rrp £140 ) can be bought in men and women’s fit. See Mammut
for more details and buy on-line or in-store at various outdoors retailers.