Walk of the Week: Gourmet HighlandsAfter an exciting day of walking and discovery, it's easy to work up an appetite (we always do!) With that in mind, this week we’re sampling the culinary delights of Scotland on our Gourmet Highlands self guided walking tour.
[caption id="attachment_20151" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Dessert time at Knockendarroch, Pitlochry.[/caption]
In a nutshellAn easy going walking holiday for foodies who want to discover the Scottish Highlands in style. Explore the tranquil lochs and great glens of Scotland by day, and by night treat yourself to gourmet meals at some of the country's finest restaurant hotels. [caption id="attachment_20146" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Peaceful walking on the Isle of Lismore.[/caption]
GradingEasy to moderate – perfect if you like your walking relaxed or if this is your first walking holiday. There are six walking days on this trip, with daily distances averaging between 1.5-12 miles. As these walks are optional, you have the flexibility to choose how long you walk for each day. [caption id="attachment_20143" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Exploring the Blair Atholl estate...[/caption]
Why walk it?
- This tour encompasses some of the most naturally beautiful parts of Scotland, including: Loch Lomond & the Trossachs National Park, Pitlochry, Oban, the Isle of Lismore and the vibrant Scottish capital of Edinburgh.
- As well as exploring the ancient castle estate of Blair Atholl, you can visit the grave of Rob Roy and stop off at Eradour distillery in Pitlochry for a tour and a wee dram (it would be rude not to!)
- Highland hospitality doesn't get much better - you'll enjoy stays at 4* luxury hotels and even a night at the Pierhouse in Port Appin (voted Britain's most romantic hotel by Alastair Sawday!)
- The real highlight of this tour is the top tier fine dining on offer. Enjoying meals created with fresh seafood, rare scotch beef and local seasonal vegetables, you'll experience culinary creations from some of the finest chefs in Scotland.
Planning your trip
- Arriving to Edinburgh: Edinburgh Airport is well served by both international and low cost airlines, including Ryanair, Easyjet, British Airways and KLM.
- Leaving from Oban: There are frequent trains to Glasgow (3h30), from where you can easily reach domestic and international destinations from Glasgow Airport. Alternatively, Oban is a great starting point to explore more of the Scottish Islands, including the wildlife rich Mull and Iona.
- This tour is 8 days & 7 nights and is available from April - October. Scottish weather is variable (to say the least) so we recommend bringing waterproofs as well as sun protective gear.
If you're feeling inspired (and hungry!) and want to hear more about our Gourmet Highlands walking tour, get in touch with our team: firstname.lastname@example.org who are always happy to help.