Winter wonders: 8 great walking tours
It might be cold, windy and wet outside but there’s no reason to be glum about it. Instead, take advantage of the places in the world that have warmth while the UK has cold. Now make yourself a warming cup of tea (or pour a nice red wine) and sit down to mull over where you could be going on a walking holiday this winter - or next.
8 places for a walking holiday in winter
1) Best visited between November and April, Asia’s Hanoi, Sapa Valley Trek, Halong Bay tour combines a bustling city – described by Lonely Planet as “Asia’s most atmospheric city” – with beautiful trekking in the lush Sapa valley, as well as relaxed cruising on a luxury steamship through the limestone karts and clear waters of Halong Bay.
2) Best enjoyed between October and April, the Torres del Paine W-Trek in southern Chilean Patagonia is perfect for walkers who want to visit this fabulous area but also enjoy a bit of comfort staying in private rooms in charming properties. This trip is also great for foodies, who will be delight in the amazing cuisine in this part of South America.
3) Bizarre basalt formations, colourful deserts and a stunning coastline are on offer in the all-year-round sunshine island of Tenerife. Enjoy a walking holiday in Tenerife while friends and family back home shiver in the winter cold.
4) Classic Everest Base Camp trek will be one walking trip on many people’s bucket lists. This camp trek is the classic lodge trek from Lukla to Everest Base Camp. The Mt Everest region of Nepal offers some of the world’s best trekking and is a great place to visit during the UK’s winter months – and until May.
5) A Magical Morocco Grand Tour is a great choice for the winter months. The trip visits the imperial city of Meknes, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the Roman ruins of Volubilis. This is a country of wonderful contrasts and amazing views.
6) Another Canary Island treat is La Gomera. It is situated just 30 kilometres off the coast of Tenerife, but it’s a world away in terms of atmosphere and landscape. This Walking in La Gomera tour will see you walking through a botanical paradise, visiting the brightly coloured streets of San Sebastian and enjoying the National Park Garagonay.
Two trips for the start of next winter
7) Plan ahead and brighten up the months at the start of next winter with a trip to walk the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. This is an iconic South American walking tour reveals all the cultural highlights while staying in simple yet comfortable tents away from the busy campsites.
8) This Discovery type tour of Peru includes all the major highlights of the country, including the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu, combined with an active itinerary. The three-star accommodation is ideal for travellers who enjoy a more “comfortable” trip. Are you now dreaming of a winter warmer walking holiday?