Today is… Lost Sock Memorial Day
It’s almost inevitable, isn’t it? For every load of laundry that you sort through there is often an odd sock – or two or three. It has happened so many times in my family that we each have a rather forlorn pile of single socks sitting on top of a chest of drawers. We wait – and hope – that the sock partner will come out of the washing cycle at some point. Sadly, in some cases that other sock never does materialise and we are left wondering where on earth it has gone to. Well, today is when we remember those lost socks – and celebrate the pairs that we still have!
Research shows families lose 60 socks annuallyA study has revealed that a family of four will lose up to 60 socks every year – and the cost can be as much £240 per family in lost socks. Other interesting finds in the UK survey, which was carried out by laundry specialists Dr. Beckmann, include:
- Northern men are top of the list as the most likely victims of sock disappearances, with 67 per cent reporting that they lose up to 15 socks a year.
- Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds are the next most likely places for socks to go missing.
- Black socks are the most likely candidates to go missing, with 78 per cent of those surveyed complaining that these are the most difficult sock colour to pair up after a washing cycle.
- Men aged 14 to 25 are at a higher risk of missing socks syndrome and 82 per cent admit to wearing odd socks on a weekly basis as a result.
- Conversely, females in the same age bracket are most likely to be able to keep track of their sock pairs as only 21 per cent said that they regularly lost a sock in the wash each week.
Three pairs of walking socks I've loved and lostToday I remember these socks: Merino ProTrek - Technical Walking Sock Super soft, easy to wear and great for preventing blisters when walking. Teko Merino Hiking Socks – Medium Cushion Crew Height A great fitting sock with merino wool and lovely cushioning. Bridgedale MerinoFusion Trekker Women's socks. Again, merino wools makes these soft and comfortable. The extra Coolmax/polyester mix gives a feeling of coolness, too.
Do you have any questions?
Call us on+44 141 530 8886