Book a holiday that packs in a little more
If you are planning a walking or cycling holiday, why not make it even more special by adding on an extra trip to a nearby location, such as a famous city, a guided tour or an excursion? You could also think about combining two trips into one longer holiday for an unbeatable escape. After all, if you are travelling to a new location then it makes sense to make the most of your time away to see more and experience as many places a possible. The expert sales team at Macs Adventure can help you to create the best tailor-made holiday to suit your dreams and aspirations. Here we suggest some of our recommended extended trips.
Trips that add up to a great experience
Explore more in Scotland[caption id="attachment_21702" align="aligncenter" width="650"] Stunning Skye.[/caption]
Highlands and an islandA Highlands & the Isle of Skye Rail & Hike holiday easily lends itself to a few extra treats and highlights. You could upgrade the trip to include luxury accommodation, simply by booking the Luxury Highlands & the Isle of Skye holiday. Other extras might include:
- Upgrade to first class travel on the Jacobite Steam Train (standard class is part of the package) from Mallaig to Fort William.
- A guided walk of the UK’s tallest mountain Ben Nevis, near Fort William.
- A Loch Ness coach and cruise excursion
- A trip to the famous battlefield of Culloden
- An extra day on Skye to enjoy a guided tour
- A tour of the Skye’s only distillery Talisker
- A trip to other nearby islands of Harris and Lewis.
Two great trailsCombine two of Scotland’s most popular walking trails in one great holiday. The West Highland Way walking holiday, from Glasgow to Fort William jigsaws neatly with the Great Glen Way, from Fort William to Inverness, or the Great Glen Escape walking trip. [caption id="attachment_21703" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] The Caledonian Canal on the Great Glen Way.[/caption]
West Highland Way and Skye HighsAn alternative idea is to walk the West Highland Way over your selected number of days and nights (you can choose from six to 10 days), and then book a four-night trip, the Skye Highs Short break, as the ideal add-on to your Scottish vacation.
Make the most of Japan[caption id="attachment_21704" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] Walk the Kumano Kodo Trail and...[/caption] Many of the walking holidays in Japan, such as the Kumano Kodo Trail, offer fantastic opportunities to add on trips – and extra nights – to locations such as:
- The busy and vibrant capital city of Tokyo
- The fascinating city of Kyoto, formerly Japan’s capital, on the island of Honshu. It's famous for its Buddhist temples, gardens, imperial palaces and Shinto shrines.
- Nara in south-central Honshu where you’ll discover many important shrines and artwork dating to the 8th century,
- The historic small city of Nikko, in the mountains to the north of Tokyo.
- Mount Koya, which is acclaimed as Japan’s holiest mountain.
Walk more in England
Walk two ways[caption id="attachment_21700" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] Famous Hadrian's Wall.[/caption] The self-guided walking tour of the Cumbria Way, from Ulverston to Carlisle, fits neatly together with the walking tour of the famous Hadrian’s Wall, which starts in Newcastle and finishes at Bowness-on-Solway. As well as being a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hadrian’s Wall is also Europe's largest surviving Roman monument.
Walk the Wall and more[caption id="attachment_21699" align="aligncenter" width="715"] Lake District Trail views towards Patterdale and Ullswater.[/caption] The Hadrian’s Wall walking holiday combines brilliantly with the Lake District Trail for an extended waling tour of some of the most beautiful spots in England. As well as walking alongside the historic Roman treasure, you’ll then follow in the footsteps of the famous walker and author Alfred Wainwright on the Lake District Trail
Discover more of Italy[caption id="attachment_21698" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] Gorgeous Tuscany scenery.[/caption] The Hill Towns of Tuscany walking holiday is a popular choice and very easy to combine with extra days in some of Italy’s most beautiful cities. Add on
- Florence is the capital of the Tuscany region and home to many masterpieces of Renaissance art and architecture.
- Beautiful Siena is acclaimed for its medieval buildings including the stunning fan-shaped central square.
- Pisa is world famous for its iconic Leaning Tower.
- Rome is another fantastic city to visit. Many people travel via Italy’s capital and it’s the perfect place to add on extra days of sight seeing before or after a walking tour.
Cycling & walking in Italy[caption id="attachment_21697" align="aligncenter" width="800"] The undulating scenery of Puglia.[/caption] Enjoy the best of both cycling and walking in Italy with the Colours of Puglia Cycling holiday, showcasing the many highlights of south-eastern Italy, and the Amalfi Coastal Trails on the western coastline of Italy. Although one is eastern and the other is western, Italy’s coasts are never too far from each other.
French walking and cycling[caption id="attachment_21696" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] Cycle high on Mont Ventoux.[/caption] France is another place to combine walking and cycling holidays into one superb trip. There are so many options but you might like the idea of a cycling tour of Provence, including the option to ride famous Mont Ventoux, and the added extra of a walking tour of Van Gogh's Provence or Provence Walking & Wine. [caption id="attachment_21705" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] Add on a walking tour of Provence.[/caption]
Greeenland plus Iceland[caption id="attachment_21707" align="aligncenter" width="1500"] Double up: Visit Iceland and Greenland in one memorable trip.[/caption] We recently highlighted a Walk f the Week: the South Greenland Adventure. This amazing trip could easily be combined with a few nights in Iceland or even a more extended trip to Iceland. Many flights from Europe stop over in Iceland en route to Greenland. There are plenty of Iceland walking holidays to choose from with Macs Adventure. If you have any other ideas, or would like to discuss the various options for customising or combining tours get in touch with our team here at Macs Adventure on firstname.lastname@example.org. There are so many possibilities...
Do you have any questions?
Call us on+44 141 530 8886