Welsh beach is 9th best in world
Lining up in a top 10 worldwide list, alongside beaches in Brazil, Mexico, Spain and Australia, is a beach in Wales. In ninth place in the new TripAdvisor beach league is Rhossili Bay in the Gower, in south Wales.
And while it might seem surprising for a UK beach to be named as one of the world’s 10 greatest beaches, those that have visited the fabulous expanse of white sand and clean swimming and surfing water in Wales will have no trouble in believing its prized position.
The Bay is located close to the village of Rhossili and also boasts a number of popular camping sites nearby. The beach featured in the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games and could be seen on an episode of Doctor Who.
TripAdvisor's reveals their Traveller Choice Beaches Awards every year.
Top 10 beaches in the world
Here is the TripAdvisor list:
1. Baia do Sancho, Brazil
2. Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
3. Flamenco Beach, Puerto Rico
4. Rabbit Beach, Italy
5. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
6. Playa de ses Illetes, Spain
7. Anse Lazio, Seychelles
8. Lanikai Beach, Hawaii
9. Rhossili Bay, Wales
10. Playa Norte, Mexico
A spokesperson for TripAdvisor, James Kay, said: "These awards recognise the best beaches according to the travellers that have visited and given them the highest levels of praise."
Why not walk some of the Welsh coast
UK’s top 10 beaches
1. Rhossili Bay, Gower, Wales
2. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
3. Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
4. Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
5. Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
6. Longsands Beach, Tynemouth, North Tyneside
7. Weymouth Beach, Weymouth, Dorset
8. Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
9. Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset
10. Nairn Beach, Nairn, Scotland
A great way to see some of the best beaches on the south coast of England is to walk the South West Coast Path
Top 10 Beaches in Europe
1. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
2. Playa de ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
3. Rhossili Bay, Gower, Wales
4. Playa de las Catedrales, Ribadeo, Spain
5. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
6. Cala Mariolu, Baunei, Italy
7. Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, United Kingdom
8. Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan, Turkey
9. Porthminster Beach, St Ives, United Kingdom
10. La Concha Beach, Donostia-San Sebastian, Spain
Another recent blog
revealed TripAdvisor’s top islands.