Where to walk in...October
October: the month of Halloween and colourful leaves. Here at Macs, we love October adventure holidays. In sunnier climes, they offer a great opportunity to top up on vitamin D before the nights draw in. Even walks in colder places such as the UK can offer a great chance to blow the cobwebs away.
1. MoroccoThe Altas Mountains in Morocco offer incredible walking opportunity. This is home to Mount Toukbal, the highest peak in North Africa, whose summit offers magnificent views across the Atlas range and beyond to the Sahara. October is the perfect time to visit Morocco as the weather is much more temperate than the scorching summers, with an average of 21° Celsius. If you want to experience Morocco's spectacular landscapes as well as the dynamic atmosphere of its bustling and historic cities, check out our 7 day tour of Marrakech, Mount Toukbal and the High Atlas
2. Piedmont, ItalyPiedmont, in the north of Italy, is bordered by France, Switzerland and the spectacular Alps and offers some of the country's most beautiful landscapes. This region is perfect for foodies, especially with the Alba International White Truffle Fair taking place throughout October and November. Piedmont is renowned by wine lovers throughout the world for its delicious Barolo wine. To experience the best of Piedmont, check out our Barolo Vineyard Trail adventure.
3. Perthshire, ScotlandWhile some might say Scotland is too cold for a walking holiday in October, at Macs we think it's the perfect time to take in the beautiful landscapes of this country. With turreted castles and hills blanketed in purple heather, spectacular lochs and an abundance of delightful accommodation, Perthshire is the perfect place for an October retreat. This month also sees nights in Pitlochry come alive with the Enchanted Forest, a month long celebration of light and sound in the eerie forests of the area. Our Perthshire in Style adventure a 7 day itinerary packed with outstanding natural beauty. This tour offers luxury accommodation, so you take on your day's walking, safe in the knowledge that you'll soon be welcomed to a warm and comfortable hotel or guesthouse, with great food and excellent hospitality.
4. Vermont, USAAutumn, or 'fall' as our American friends call it, can transform the countryside into a blaze of colour. Nowhere is the changing of seasons more beautiful than in Vermont, USA. The lush woodland that envelops the landscape turn into a kaleidoscope of reds, oranges, golds, browns and yellows. Vermont also boasts countless quintessential villages, peaceful lakes and beautiful national parks. The 'foliage season' starts in mid-September and lasts throughout October, and is very popular, so we recommend booking well in advance. You can experience the best of this beautiful state with our Heart of Vermont tour, a week-long adventure taking in pristine lakes and beautiful hilltops, with ample opportunity to admire the colourful countryside.
5. Andalucia, SpainAndalucia is a sunny region in the south of Spain. Its rich and varied history is evident in all parts of life from the architecture to the food; Roman, Moorish, Jewish and Christian influences can be seen throughout the region. Andalucia also has some beautiful countryside; the Sierra de Aracena national park consists of gently rolling hills and sweeping valleys, contrasted with dramatic rocky outcrops. Andalucia boasts some incredible architecture, including Seville's incredible cathedral, where legendary explorer Christopher Columbus is buried, and the Alhambra, a former palace and fortress. There are numerous charming and authentic villages that you can explore to get a feel of the traditional way of life. See the highlights of this gorgeous region with our six day Andalucian adventure, Seville & the Sierra de Aracena.
6. JapanJapan is well known for its beautiful cherry blossoms in the springs, but many people don't know that the country is equally beautiful in autumn. Because of the length of the country, the changing colours sweep down the country and so the Japanese autumn lasts longer than most. With temperatures in the mid-twenties, October is a great time to go on an active break in Japan. Our ten-day itinerary on the Nakasendo trail ensures you encounter authentic experiences with both sides of Japan: explore the dynamic cities of Kyoto and Tokyo at the beginning and end of your walking adventure, with stays in traditional accommodation as you walk through the beautiful mountains of rural Japan. For more October inspiration, check out the full range of adventures on our website or feel free to get in touch with our Destination Specialists at email@example.com
Do you have any questions?
Call us on+44 141 530 8886