13 Things you can do in the Bernese Oberland (besides the epic hiking!)
Being an Adventure Travel Specialist has its benefits. Recently I was lucky enough to be charged with following the routes and writing up route descriptions for our hiking tours in the Swiss Bernese Oberland. To say it beats a day at the desk would be an understatement!
I mean... those postcard views!!
Thanks to my job, when I travel I always have my tour planning mindset. I note down all the tips and advice I'd like to share with my friends, family and clients to help everyone make the most of their trip. Here are a few activities (other than the great hikes planned by Macs Adventure) available in the Bernese Oberland, which prove it really is an all-round, "something for everyone" destination:
- Mountain Biking - I saw lots of mountain bikers - local information offices will give details of the trails and hire available.
- Those with a head for heights will love the First Cliff Walk with spectacular views from a platform "out in the void".
- Paragliding is a popular activity and a tandem panoramic flight is a spectacular way of seeing the mountain scenery.
An alternative way of seeing the views - for those with a strong head for heights!
- Mini Golf: Because who doesn't love mini golf?!
- The Gletscher - Grindelwald Glacier - visit the impressive gorge.
- Jungfraujoch "top of Europe": If you have the time, the Jungfraujoch is an expensive but worthwhile treat. What an incredible feeling being at the ‘top of Europe’ and the highest train station in Europe. Booking the train in advance is recommended as it can get really busy during the peak season.
- Trottibike: Is it a scooter, is it a bike? It's a lot of fun that's for sure!
- I noticed you can Go-Kart! From the first gondola out of Grindelwald.
- A hike to the traditional Alpine hut, SAC Hutte – Schreckhornn.
The Jungfraujoch observatory at the "Top of Europe".
- Jungfraujoch is once again a worthwhile highlight. It's busy, but a bit of a "must see".
- Try Mountain Biking.
- Schilthorn gives you an alternative "top of the world" feeling to Jungfraujoch, and was made famous by James Bond.
This area has so much more to offer than just hiking, every corner I turned revealed a more impressive sight, and more active people doing interesting things!
The friendly locals.
I am already thinking about the next adventures I could do in this area. I hope this will give you ideas of some of the activities you could do this area, other than the hiking which was quite simply, wonderful. If you'd like to contact me (Minna) or the rest of the team, we're here to answer your questions via email@example.com, and you can browse some more hiking tours in Switzerland on our website.